ARRIVED MID AUGUST AND LOVING EVERY MINUTE

SAVTA

Applied for Contributory Sponsored Parents visa off shore with an Australian Migration Agent and decided to sell our home in the UK - which we did -and make the move here anyway. As our holiday visa allows us to stay in OZ for 1 year - that is what we are doing and hopefully by the end of that time - we will have the approval in place (albeit that we will have to go offshore to validate visa).

Our daughter (who has lived here for 19 years) rented us a fantastic UNIT in a suburb of Melbourne (East Bentleigh), until we eventually find the area we like and the home of our dreams. A 'UNIT' is actually a bungalow in Brit terms and now we are used to it - an Apartment is definitely off the list!

Will briefly relate our experiences/suggestions so far which I hope may assist some of you!

All rented property is unfurnished. I would NOT recommend HOCKING STUART as an Estate Agent! :evil:

Connecting the telephone was not a problem - but when it came to installing our Broadband - TELSTRA were a nightmare - it took 3 1/2 weeks. :x

Utility bills are paid monthly! Water is metered and again billed monthly.

You have 2 dustbins one for recycable items - which must be left in the exact position on the grass verges (which are called nature strips) for collection. By the way the nature strips have to be cut by the householders - even though they are on the pavement!!

We are driving on our UK licences and have been told that as our resident applications are being processed, we can carry on using them until visas granted. Then we just go in with our licences to the local offices and will automatically receive an Australian licence ( no tests - just a small fee)!

Will be taking delivery of a brand new car on Friday - a Mitsubishi Freelander 4x4 and for all of you who are interested - it costs HALF the PRICE to the UK!

Finally, the people are SO SO FRIENDLY. Everyone talks to you. Our neighbour left a bag of lemons on our doorstep 2 days after we moved in. (Most properties have lemon trees in their garden - we don't)!

Food is MUCH cheaper - especially MEAT! Although it is early spring today the temperature reach 31 degrees. However, Melbourne weather is very changeable and you can have 3 seasons in one day. The catch phrase is WAIT A MINUTE (and the weather will change).

Will be happy to answer any questions !

We KNOW that we have made the right decision and all we miss in the UK is our Son (who will be coming out himself anyway next year) and our friends of course.

For those of you on tender hooks waiting for your visas - believe me it is worth the wait!!

Our shipment should arrive sometime this week although may be held up in the Customs for a while. It will be great to have our personal belongings once again.

We should have made this move years ago!!!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Savta

This is a brilliantly helpful piece by you. Really useful, and the sort of thing most people don't think of posting, so very well done you!

You are obviously taking to your new life in Oz like a duck to water my friend. I am thrilled to hear that it is all going so well for you.

Best wishes

Gill

This maybe help....

Our daughter (who has lived here for 19 years) rented us a fantastic UNIT in a suburb of Melbourne (East Bentleigh), until we eventually find the area we like and the home of our dreams. A 'UNIT' is actually a bungalow in Brit terms and now we are used to it - an Apartment is definitely off the list!

House = House on a piece of land with all facilities to its self

Unit = one of a pair or group of small houses (sometimes detached, sometimes semi), built on a piece of land, maybe sharing a driveway or common ground

Connecting the telephone was not a problem - but when it came to installing our Broadband - TELSTRA were a nightmare - it took 3 1/2 weeks. Mad

Be careful with Tesltra Broadband. (Telstra is the Aussie equivalent of BT.) Telstra are not the best deal on ADSL Broadband ...but their cable service seems ok. Optus cable may be slightly less expensive on some "Plans". Telstra charge for both uploads and downloads, and massive 'per Gb excess charges on ADSL broadband plans ($150 per Gb, compared to $3 per gig from other providers), and will try to get you to lock into a one or two year contract. Before signing up for Broadband in Australia, read this website. http://whirlpool.net.au/ ...especially the "Broadband Choice" Page.

Will be taking delivery of a brand new car on Friday - a Mitsubishi Freelander 4x4 and for all of you who are interested - it costs HALF the PRICE to the UK!

..and petrol currently is about 50p a litre... but Victoria (dunno about the rest) has a "petrol Price Cycle" that can see pump prices vary by up to 10c a litre over the week. Cheapest days are typicaly Tuesday and Wednesday... dearest... yup Friday - Monday)

Fraser

• 1 year later...
Guest june coates

hi savta,i was advised by gollywobbler to ask you about shipping your goods over before permanent visa granted.i am doing the same as you did,coming over on 1yr visitor visa and should get my cp.visa granted before year is up.will just go to bali to have it validated.all my quotes for removals state on the customs form to have all pages of passport photocopied.are they looking for permanent visa before you can ship things out?i am not bringing furniture,just all household goods and personal effects.did you ship yours in your own name or your daughters?hope you can help me with this.

june

Guest JoanneHattersley

My parents are coming over on the CPV. Currently awaiting case officer. Getting meds done 21/12/07.

GOod luck with new life

Guest wee wen

Hi Savta,

Post's like yours take a bit of the worry away from us lot in the waiting to go queue. We have our permanent visa ( I am a nurse, now Health Visitor ). We are out of our house in 6 weeks, will rent for about 6 weeks & then fly out to our new life mid January. Have been seriously looking at Brisbane but husband may have job prospect in Melbourne which is too good to pass up (could go to Brisbane & have no job ). Also I'm really starting to think that Melbourne would suit us as well.....That's why it's so good to read posts like yours . Hopefully as a nurse I'll get a job whichever region hubby chooses to work. one of us will have to work around our 9 year old getting settled in school , she will be priority for a while as she is really against moving away from Scotland.....We are looking at the Sanctuary Lakes area. We would like something fairly low maintanence, a bit more rural with not too small a block, or a property with maybe 2/3 acres to keep a pony. Hubby will possibly be travelling in to Coolaroo so we'll need to check not too far by car.

I too wanted to emigrate years ago, but husband's parents were very (too) dependant on him & he just couldn't do it. His dad has died now & mum is fit so we're taking the opportunity while we can.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi June

I don't know whether Savta is reading the forum much at the moment because their CP visa will be granted any minute now (if it hasn't already been granted) and they are very busy with family matters.

June, I do know that Savta had a container of goods shipped to Oz last year when she and Hubby definitely did not have PR. Savta used to be a travel agent so she is totally unfazed by things like Customs & Immi. She is a truly wonderful lady - if she finds a knot, she sharpens her scissors and cuts it!

I would suggest a PM to her or to me. I will let you have her e-mail address if you wish and I can also let you have Savta's phone number. She is such a gem that she is more than willing to help any other applicant for a CP visa and she can do so in very practical terms. She and her husband would also willingly help any youngsters moving to Ml;bourne via lending crockery etc until the youngsters' own containers arrive.

If there is no-one else to meet and greet at the airport, I reckon that this couple would do it and Savta would be purring, "Don't worry about immediate food and drink because ienough to get you started is in the hamper in this vehicle. Phone me if you need advice about how to shop wisely in Melbourne..." She is completely hands-on and a complete super-star because of it.

my opinion, Savta and Hubby are Shining Examples of how to do the Contributory Parent route to Oz. They made up their minds, got their Agent to whack in the application and they then promptly moved out to Oz. They are so busy with getting on with life in Oz that their visas are a mere bagatelle.

My personal view is that the visa is just a formality as long as the Parent is healthy and the Balance of Family Test is met. I can see no earthly point in the Parent sitting around in the UK pining for his/her cubs and grandcubs in Oz, frankly. My mother made it clear to me that I would not get her moniker on Form 47PA unless she signed Form 48 as well three seconds later.......

Go for it, June! We CAN sort out the container - you can always say that the goods belong to your sponsoring child in Australia and get round Customs that way if need be....

It is different for Johatts' Mum because she will be leaving a child in the UK as well as her beloved pedigree cats. I adore Caz (Johatts' Mum) and I will probably go to Heathrow to see them off when they leave for Oz. Caz deserves a HUGE HUG from me. A cyber-hug will have to do for the moment but a fizzical hug is defo on the cards too.... I can't think of anything nicer than being at Heathrow with Caz, chivvying the airline and generally helping to get her on her way to Oz. I'll shed a tear when she leaves because she is such a nice lady but it will be a short tear because I am convinced that she is doing the right thing.

Cheers

Gill

Guest JoanneHattersley

It is different for Johatts' Mum because she will be leaving a child in the UK as well as her beloved pedigree cats. I adore Caz (Johatts' Mum) and I will probably go to Heathrow to see them off when they leave for Oz. Caz deserves a HUGE HUG from me. A cyber-hug will have to do for the moment but a fizzical hug is defo on the cards too.... I can't think of anything nicer than being at Heathrow with Caz, chivvying the airline and generally helping to get her on her way to Oz. I'll shed a tear when she leaves because she is such a nice lady but it will be a short tear because I am convinced that she is doing the right thing.

Cheers

Gill

:cute:

Hi Gill

She is a pretty cool chick my mum!!!She drove me mad initially when we left as we were "living her dream" and she found that so hard to handle!!! now we are sponosoring her I think she would kill me if I tried to go home!

Thanks for all the help you give Mum. I cant wait til she gets here. I havent seen them for ages - the longest time that I have ever spent apart from my parents!! We have been feeling really homesick lately so I cant wait for a hug from me mum and dad!

Bye x

Guest Ian&Lou

Hi,

It's great to hear that you have settled in so well and are loving it. Good luck with the rest of the visa process, I hope it's a painless as possible.

Lou

Guest june coates
Hi June

I don't know whether Savta is reading the forum much at the moment because their CP visa will be granted any minute now (if it hasn't already been granted) and they are very busy with family matters.

June, I do know that Savta had a container of goods shipped to Oz last year when she and Hubby definitely did not have PR. Savta used to be a travel agent so she is totally unfazed by things like Customs & Immi. She is a truly wonderful lady - if she finds a knot, she sharpens her scissors and cuts it!

I would suggest a PM to her or to me. I will let you have her e-mail address if you wish and I can also let you have Savta's phone number. She is such a gem that she is more than willing to help any other applicant for a CP visa and she can do so in very practical terms. She and her husband would also willingly help any youngsters moving to Ml;bourne via lending crockery etc until the youngsters' own containers arrive.

If there is no-one else to meet and greet at the airport, I reckon that this couple would do it and Savta would be purring, "Don't worry about immediate food and drink because ienough to get you started is in the hamper in this vehicle. Phone me if you need advice about how to shop wisely in Melbourne..." She is completely hands-on and a complete super-star because of it.

my opinion, Savta and Hubby are Shining Examples of how to do the Contributory Parent route to Oz. They made up their minds, got their Agent to whack in the application and they then promptly moved out to Oz. They are so busy with getting on with life in Oz that their visas are a mere bagatelle.

My personal view is that the visa is just a formality as long as the Parent is healthy and the Balance of Family Test is met. I can see no earthly point in the Parent sitting around in the UK pining for his/her cubs and grandcubs in Oz, frankly. My mother made it clear to me that I would not get her moniker on Form 47PA unless she signed Form 48 as well three seconds later.......

Go for it, June! We CAN sort out the container - you can always say that the goods belong to your sponsoring child in Australia and get round Customs that way if need be....

Cheers

Gill

hi gill,

just posting as i sent both savta and you a pm.and have had no reply,so i presume that it is because of my poor computer skills that you have obviosly not received it.i gave you my email address and would like to have savta,s so that i can send her one.i read somewhere on the site that it is not appropriate to display email address so if you can send me a pm i can let you have it in the reply.

cheers.

june

Archived